What is PlasmaMD?
PlasmaMD is one of the most advanced FDA approved, cosmetic procedures performed to treat wrinkles and sagging skin. It can be used to treat a wide range of age-related skin conditions non-invasively helping to restore a smooth and youthful appearance to the skin.
How Does PlasmaMD Work?
As our bodies age, the outer layer of skin begins to thin out and the levels of collagen in the skin decreases resulting in loss of elasticity and firmness of the skin. The PlasmaMD pen is a handheld device that works by transforming ionized nitrogen gas into plasma microbeams that cause microtrauma to the top layer of the skin while simultaneously transmitting heat energy to deeper skin layers. This process is known as "fibroblasting" as it stimulates the fibroblasts within the skin layers to produce collagen and tighten the skin.
Indications for Use of PlasmaMD
The revolutionary PlasmaMD pen can be used to target areas of concern on the skin such as:
- Crow’s feet (skin creases that form around the corner of your eyes)
- Marionette lines (vertical skin lines that run from the corner of the mouth to the chin)
- Accordion lines (lines that form on the outside of the mouth)
- Smoker’s lines or lipstick lines (vertical wrinkles formed around the mouth)
- Nasolabial skin folds running from the side of the nose to the edge of the mouth
- Bags or hoods around the eyelids
- Forehead lines
- Sagging jawlines
- Post-acne scars or marks
- Stretch marks
Who is an Ideal Candidate for PlasmaMD?
The PlasmaMD treatment works best for people with fair to medium skin types.Get yourself evaluated first with our physician to determine if you are an ideal candidate for PlasmaMD.
Preparing for the PlasmaMD Procedure
Our physician will evaluate your skin and may recommend a skincare product to help prepare your skin for the procedure. Your concerns and expectations will be discussed prior to the procedure.
What to Expect From the PlasmaMD Procedure?
The PlasmaMD procedure involves the following steps:
- A topical anesthetic is applied prior to the start of your procedure.
- The skin surface is thoroughly cleansed.
- The PlasmaMD pen is passed over the skin very close to the surface several times without touching skin.
- The pen generates low-frequency energy plasma arc that creates a small,controlled wound on the superficial layer of the skin and transfers thermal energy to the underlying skin layer.
- The process of wound healing is stimulated by the energy transfer initiating production of new collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid to develop a firm and youthful-appearing layer of skin.
- The procedure may take about 30 to 90 minutes depending on the areas treated.
Recovery After PlasmaMD Procedure
Following treatment,you will experience scabbing, redness, and swelling in the treated areas on the face and neck for about 7 days. The swelling is usually noticed the day after the treatment and peaks after 3 days. For other parts of the body, the symptoms may last longer depending on the treatment intensity. You will be given specific instructions regarding post care products and keeping your skin dry during the healing phase. Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, or picking at the skin to speed up recovery. About 1-2 sessions may be required to maximize outcomes. Should a second treatment be needed, it will be completed 12 weeks after the first treatment.
Risks of PlasmaMD Procedure
The PlasmaMD procedure is a relatively safe treatment compared to other invasive cosmetic procedures; however, there are some potential risks that include:
- Discoloration of the skin
- Skin crusting and scabbing
Benefits of PlasmaMD
The benefits of PlasmaMD include:
- Stimulates collagen production for better skin tone
- Improved skin hydration resulting in healthy glow and plumpness of the skin
- Reduced skin pore size
- Reduced skin pigmentation
- Improved skin texture